The police chief of Qaisar district of Faryab province, northern Afghanistan, was killed on Sunday, along with 14 policemen, in an attack by Taliban militants, according to a security source in the Afghan Interior Ministry.
The source in Ghor province, western Afghanistan, reported that 10 security forces were killed and 4 others were missing in a car bombing that targeted the headquarters of the security forces in the province.
There were also deaths and injuries in a suicide car bombing targeting the police headquarters in the northern Afghan province of Balkh, and in the southeastern province of Paktia, 4 civilians were killed in the explosion of an explosive device, according to an Afghan security source.
The Taliban spokesman, Zabihullah Mujahid, announced the movement’s adoption of targeting the Afghan police headquarters in Balkh province in northern Afghanistan.
The Taliban spokesman said that initial reports indicate dozens of dead and wounded senior officers and soldiers, and the destruction of a number of military vehicles.
On the other hand, an Afghan government official condemned the attack, and stressed that targeting security and military centers in the main cities is contrary to the Doha agreement.
Talks in Kabul
Meanwhile, US envoy to Afghanistan Zalmay Khalilzad held talks in Kabul with President Ashraf Ghani and Head of the Reconciliation Committee Abdullah Abdullah to discuss developments on the ground and advance negotiations.
The US embassy in Afghanistan had previously said that Khalilzad and a delegation from the US National Security Council and the US Agency for Development will tour Afghanistan, Qatar and other countries in the region.
The US delegation will meet in Kabul with the Afghan government and civil society representatives to hear their views on the Afghan peace talks. The US embassy added that Khalilzad will travel to Doha to encourage the Taliban and Afghan government delegations to make tangible progress toward a political settlement.
On the other hand, Afghan government officials said on Sunday that at least 11 civilians, including children, were killed in a landmine explosion in their vehicle in the north of the country, accusing the Taliban movement of planting the mine.
No one has claimed responsibility for the attack, which occurred hours before senior Taliban leaders met United Nations officials in Qatar to discuss the peace process and the security of diplomats and humanitarian workers in Afghanistan.
Hossam El Din Shams, governor of Badghis state, in the north of the country, said that 11 passengers – including 3 children – were killed in yesterday’s explosion on their way to the city of Qal’at Nou.
In recent months, roadside bombs, magnetic vanities and other attacks have targeted security personnel, judges, government officials, civil society activists, and journalists.
A Taliban spokesman said – in a statement on Twitter – that Sher Mohammad Abbas Stanikzai, deputy head of the Political Bureau, “reaffirmed in the meeting the strong commitment to the peace process” Afghan.
Although the Taliban delegation emphasized the safety of all relevant UN agency staff and other diplomats stationed in the country, Afghan officials accused the movement of continuing to attack government forces and civilians with the aim of establishing full control over several provinces.