Dozens were killed in fierce new battles between the Yemeni army and the Houthis in the Marib governorate, while Saudi Arabia confirmed that the Houthi group refused to respond to the ceasefire efforts in Yemen.
Yemeni military sources said that dozens of people were killed and wounded today, Tuesday, during the fiercest confrontations between the Yemeni army forces, backed by what they call the popular resistance, and Houthi militias in the northwestern areas of Ma’rib Governorate. Read also Yemen .. What is behind the escalation of the “transitional” against the government and its hint that the “state of the south” is soon to be restored The last strongholds of the government in northern Yemen.. Learn about the most important stations of the battle of Marib Hadi: The current war was imposed by the Houthis to serve Iran
The sources also indicated that the army forces managed to repel the attack after violent clashes that resulted in the death and injury of dozens of people on both sides.
For its part, the French Press Agency quoted military sources as saying that the clashes on Monday and Tuesday killed 63 Houthi militants and 27 Yemeni government forces.
Amid the ongoing battles, Houthi media reported that the Saudi-led coalition warplanes carried out today 27 raids in the areas of Raghwan and Sirwah in Marib Governorate.
Intercepting a bombed-out plane
On the ground, the Saudi-led coalition announced that the Saudi air defenses today intercepted and destroyed a booby-trapped drone launched by the Houthis towards Khamis Mushait, in the south of the Kingdom.
The coalition said – in a statement – that the Houthis continue to deliberately target civilians and civilian objects.
A Saudi initiative and Houthi rejection
Politically, Saudi Foreign Minister Faisal bin Farhan said that Riyadh had presented an initiative on Yemen based on a ceasefire, but he stressed that this initiative did not receive a response from the Houthis.
Bin Farhan added, in statements he made during his visit to the Austrian capital Vienna, that his country is keen to stop the war and turn to a political path, but he indicated that this does not have the approval of the Houthi side.
Recently, the region witnessed an intense diplomatic movement in an attempt to reach a ceasefire in Yemen and start a political process, but the movement did not result in tangible progress.
Last week, the UN envoy to Yemen, Martin Griffiths, acknowledged the failure of his efforts to put an end to the war in Yemen, at the conclusion of a 3-year mission.
The war wounded are demonstrating
On the other hand, the war-wounded demonstrated in the Yemeni city of Taiz today to denounce what they described as neglecting the treatment of the wounded by the government and the presidency in the country.
The wounded participants in the demonstration raised slogans denouncing the withholding of their financial allocations in the Central Bank and the Ministry of Finance in Aden and the suspension of the treatment program for them.
They demanded that the government quickly release the amounts withheld for more than two years, and develop radical solutions to their suffering.