High-quality satellite images, obtained by the News Monitoring and Verification Agency on the island, “Sanad”, showed recent construction operations in the Renaissance Dam, in preparation for the second filling, despite the continuous escalation of the crisis between Ethiopia, Egypt and Sudan.
Recent photos reveal the presence of trucks and construction equipment on the middle lane on May 22, 23 and 30, while they were not present in the photo taken on April 21.
The images also show the effects of cement pouring operations in the middle corridor, with a view to raising its level to 595 meters by next August, to be able to reserve 13.5 billion cubic meters planned for the second filling of the dam.
The minister added, during a seminar at an Ethiopian university, that the completion of the dam would enable East African countries to obtain the necessary energy and accelerate development in those countries.
He pointed out that although Egypt and Sudan are trying to impose what he described as colonial agreements on his country, Ethiopia will not accept the exploitation of its natural resources, as he put it.
Yesterday, Monday, Egypt had expressed its rejection of Ethiopia’s announcement of its intention to build new dams, stressing that it was an “unfortunate approach” and revealed “bad faith”.
In conjunction with the escalation of the Addis Ababa crisis with Egypt and Sudan over the “Renaissance” dam, the Ethiopian News Agency quoted Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed as saying that his country will build more than 100 small and medium dams in the new fiscal year in different regions.
Commenting on this, the Egyptian Foreign Ministry said, in a statement, that “Egypt rejects what was stated in Abi Ahmed’s statements regarding Ethiopia’s intention to build a number of dams in different regions of the country.”
She stressed that this statement once again reveals Ethiopia’s bad faith and its dealings with the Nile and other international rivers that it shares with neighboring countries as if they were internal rivers subject to its sovereignty and harnessed to serve its interests.
She added, “Egypt has always recognized the right of all Nile Basin countries to establish water projects, but they must be established after coordination, consultation and agreement with the countries that may be affected, foremost of which are the downstream countries (Cairo and Khartoum).”
She stressed that Abi Ahmed’s statements are nothing but a continuation of the unfortunate Ethiopian approach that flouts the applicable rules of international law.
She explained that international laws regulating the use of international rivers require Ethiopia to respect the rights of other riparian countries and not to harm their interests.
On May 25, Sudan announced that Ethiopia had already started the second filling of the dam with water, about a year after the first filling, despite an Egyptian-Sudanese rejection, a demand for a tribal agreement, and repeated Ethiopian assertion that it does not aim to harm them and will seek to benefit from it in power and electricity generation projects. .
In the strongest threat since the outbreak of the crisis 10 years ago, Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi said on March 30 that “the Nile waters are a red line, and any harm to Egypt’s waters will have a reaction that threatens the stability of the entire region.”