Today, Friday, Facebook announced the suspension of the account of former US President Donald Trump on its platform until January 2023, and also announced changes to its policy towards the publications of political leaders.
And Facebook said in a statement that Trump will only be able to restore his account “when the threats to the security of public opinion are removed.” Read also Facebook’s review board’s decision to ban Trump satisfies no one Trump announces he’ll help his Republican party take back Congress next year Financial Times: Republicans are drifting more towards Trumpism over time
Facebook’s decision came in response to the recommendation of the site’s oversight board last month, when the board supported the original decision to suspend Trump’s account on the seventh of last January, claiming that he encouraged his supporters during their storming of the Congress building to object to the results of the presidential elections, and this was an unprecedented decision.
The board, however, said the site erred when it made the indefinite suspension.
“Today, we are announcing new enforcement protocols that apply in exceptional cases like these, and we are confirming the time-limited punishment consistent with those protocols on Mr. Trump’s accounts,” the site said in a statement.
“Given the gravity of the circumstances that led to Mr. Trump’s suspension, we believe his actions constituted a severe breach of our rules that warranted the most severe penalty available in our new protocols,” said the statement, released by Nick Clegg, Facebook’s vice president of global affairs. January of this year.
Clegg stated that after the expiration of the suspension period, Trump will be subject to new severe penalties if he violates the site’s policies, including the permanent deletion of his accounts.
Trump condemns the decision
For his part, the former US president considered that the suspension of his account for two years was an “insult” to voters, reiterating his assertion that the 2020 presidential elections were stolen from him, as he put it.
“Facebook’s decision is an insult to the 75 million people who voted for us in the fraudulent 2020 presidential election,” he said in a statement.
“They should not be allowed to get away with this censorship and silencing, and in the end we will win. Our country can no longer tolerate these abuses.”
It is believed that Trump is looking forward to running for the presidency in 2024, but he did not announce this explicitly, and only gave vague answers when asked if he had decided on this step.
Platforms such as Facebook and Twitter were of the opinion that world leaders, politicians and elected officials should have more freedom than ordinary users.
But Facebook confirmed today that it will cancel its policy that protects politicians from some content management rules, because what they publish is considered “news” material.