Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo (Hemedti), First Vice-President of the Sudanese Sovereign Council, warned yesterday, Friday evening, of the worsening economic, political and security conditions in the country.
This came according to a video recording of Hemedti, which he published on his official Facebook page, in which he appears as he speaks in the capital, Khartoum, during a memorial ceremony for one of the leaders of the Sudan Liberation Movement led by Mina Arko Minawi.
Hemedti said that Sudan is in an uncomfortable situation, “a social and political disintegration is completely turbulent, and in an uncomfortable security situation, and economically the poor and the rich have been affected,” noting that the living crisis cast a negative shadow on the country.
He added, “We do not cheat our spirit, there is no change. Change is the imprisonment of Omar al-Bashir and the leaders of the former regime. We must be clear on this issue, and we are the ones who brought them in.”
Hemedti revealed organized campaigns against him from – he did not name – because of his sitting on the seat of the first deputy of the Sovereign Council, vowing legal prosecution of those he described as promoters of sedition, without explaining them.
And last Sunday, the Sudanese pound fell to low levels in the parallel (black) market trading, and the dollar exchange rate reached 490 pounds, which is the lowest price ever compared to 410 pounds in trading last week.
news of military tension
In the meantime, Brigadier General Taher Abu Haja, media advisor to the President of the Sudanese Sovereign Council, and spokesman for the Rapid Support Forces, Brigadier General Jamal Juma Adam, denied in two separate statements the existence of military tension between the army and the Rapid Support Forces.
Abu Haja said that what was reported by some communication sites about the existence of tension between the armed forces and the rapid support is unfounded, and that they are working in perfect harmony and harmony.
The spokesman for the Rapid Support Forces also denied that, saying, “You have followed and followed what has been circulated on social media about the tense relationship between the armed forces and the Rapid Support Forces. This rumor with a known intent aims to create confusion and strife, and whoever launched it does not want the country’s good, he is disturbed by what The Rapid Support Forces and their commander are doing a national job.”
Yesterday, Friday, Sudanese websites reported that tension escalated between the leaders of the military component after the Rapid Support Forces raised the pace of their combat readiness inside the capital, Khartoum. These websites also published pictures of dirt berms around the General Command of the Sudanese army in Khartoum.
On March 7, 2020, the head of the Sovereign Council, Abdel Fattah Al-Burhan, announced a project to restructure the Sudanese army and the Rapid Support Forces in accordance with the requirements of the current and future stage.
The restructuring of the regular forces in Sudan is one of the tasks of the transitional period since the army leadership on April 11, 2019 dismissed President Omar al-Bashir from the presidency (1989-2019) under the weight of popular protests condemning the deteriorating economic conditions.