Condemnation continues for the armed attack carried out by unknown gunmen at night on a village in northern Burkina Faso, which killed more than 138 civilians, and is considered the deadliest since the start of violence in the country in 2015.
And the government – which declared three days of mourning in the country – announced that gunmen killed at least 138 civilians in an attack on the village of Hanson, in the north of the country, near the borders with Mali and Niger. Read also Foreign Policy: 10 struggles to watch out for in 2021Learn about the Group of Five Sahel countries to combat terrorism and its goals The French-Turkish war .. Why do the French fear the Turks in West Africa?
For his part, the Secretary-General of the United Nations, Antonio Gutters, strongly condemned the killing of more than 100 civilians, including 7 children, in the attack launched by unknown persons in northern Burkina Faso.
A statement issued by the UN said that Guterres “strongly and outraged” the “heinous” attack in Burkina Faso, stressing the urgent need for the international community to redouble its support for member states in the fight against “violent extremism”.
The United Nations Information Center reported that Guterres’ special representative and head of the United Nations Office for West Africa and the Sahel, Mohamed Saleh Al-Nazif, condemned the attack, describing it as a “despicable terrorist.”
For its part, the General Secretariat of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation today condemned this attack and affirmed its firm principled position against terrorism, whatever the motives and reasons, and its standing with the government and people of Burkina Faso in “confronting this phenomenon”, according to what was quoted by the Saudi Press Agency (SPA).
In turn, the Turkish Foreign Ministry strongly condemned, on Sunday, the killing of civilians, and indicated in a statement that it had received with great sadness and sorrow the news of the attack that took place in the village of Solhan.
Qatar condemned in the strongest terms (these) “brutal attacks”. Yesterday, Saturday, the Foreign Ministry reiterated the state’s firm position on rejecting violence, terrorism and criminal acts, regardless of the motives and reasons. The Qatari statement expressed condolences to the families of the victims and to the government and people of Burkina Faso.
Saudi Arabia also condemned the attack. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs affirmed the Kingdom’s full solidarity with Burkina Faso and its standing with it against violence, extremism and terrorism, and its complete and categorical rejection of such “criminal” acts.
In a statement issued by its foreign ministry, Egypt expressed its strong condemnation of this “terrorist” attack, expressing its sincere condolences and sympathy to “sister” Burkina Faso and to the families of the innocent victims.
For its part, the Bahraini Foreign Ministry condemned the armed attack on the village of Solhan, expressing in a statement its deepest condolences and sympathy to the families and families of the victims and to the government of Burkina Faso.
Corinne Dufka, West Africa director of Human Rights Watch, said the attack on the village of Solhan brings the death toll at the hands of militants in the Sahel to more than 500 since January.
Since the beginning of last year, attacks by armed groups have increased sharply in the Sahel region of West Africa, especially in Burkina Faso, Mali and Niger, and most of the victims are civilians.
The attacks have driven more than 1.14 million people from their homes in just over two years, while the impoverished country also hosts some 20,000 refugees from neighboring Mali seeking safety from armed attacks.