The Saudi-led military coalition in Yemen announced today, Saturday, that it had foiled an impending Houthi attack using two boat bombs south of the Red Sea in the second similar attack in less than a week.
The coalition added in a statement that the impending attack was thwarted and the two boats were destroyed off the port of Salif, south of the Red Sea, stressing that the Houthi group continued to threaten the lines shipping and world trade.
The statement did not give further details about the attack and there was no immediate comment from the Houthis on it.
On Monday, the coalition said in a statement that it had foiled a similar bombing attack on a Houthi boat in the southern Red Sea.
Saudi media had earlier reported that a drone launched by the Houthis was intercepted and destroyed in the direction of Khamis Mushait (south of the Kingdom).
For his part, Houthi military spokesman Yahya Saree said King Khalid’s air base in Khamis Mushait was the target.
In a related context, the Houthi-affiliated Al Masirah channel aired scenes from what it said was one of the Houthi forces’ largest 3-axis operations in the Jazan region on the border Yemeno-Saudi.
The channel said the Houthi forces carried out what it called large offensive operations and took control of dozens of sites in the Jizan axis and quantities of equipment and weapons .
She added that a number of soldiers were captured, noting that a number of deaths have occurred during these battles, including Saudi and Sudanese soldiers.
About 7 years ago, Yemen witnessed a war that killed 233,000 people, and 80% of the population of around 30 million people became dependent on aid to stay alive , in the world’s worst humanitarian crisis, according to the United Nations.